HOW TO // LIPSTICK CONFIDENCE

One of the comment I hear a lot on my Instagram is "I thought this lipstick wouldn't suit me but now I've seen you wear it, I want it."

I remember when I started to transition my IG into a beauty page and I would get comments like "Do you think this lip colour will suit me?" "I was afraid to wear red but I love this on you" "Do you think this will work on my skin tone?"
And I have to admit, this used to baffle me, I couldn't understand why these beauties would be hesitant to wear any lip colour.

Fast forward a few years (I've had IG for a WHILE now) and with the help of beauty pages all women (especially women of colour and women of paler skin tones) now have the ability to see sooo many different lip colours work for their skin tone.
I'm talking blacks, yellow golds, shimmers, blues, purples, shocking pinks the list is endless!

However I still get the odd comment here or there relating to wearing certain lip colours.

Now back in the day I never wore lipstick and I mean NEVER then one day I bit the bullet and decided to commit to my first red lipstick - MAC Ruby Woo and I have never looked back since.

The Trick?

There is no real trick to gaining lipstick confidence with bright and bold colours (except a darker lip liner but I'll get onto that in a bit) one day I decided to wear red and I loved it.

I think back to when I didn't wear bold colours and it was purely down to the fact that I didn't want the attention (ask my mum, I cannot stand people staring at me) I did not want people looking at me and I felt that wearing a bright colour on lips as big as mine was just calling for attention, but at the time I was going through an all black phase (who am I kidding, I still am) and I needed a pop of colour somewhere so why not my lips?

Once I embraced this bright beautiful red lip it almost knocked down my walls and made me more confident with my lipstick choices.

When it comes to bold or bright lip colours I find there are no real rules, you can wear whatever colour you want to, you just need to believe that you look great in it.
Dare to wear that red, that oxblood burgundy or that shocking pink!

OK, colours like yellow or light beige lipsticks may be a bit tricky but liner can always help.

If you feel a colour is too bold add a darker liner, this works well with almost all colours, just make sure the liner is blended in reaaaaaally well, you can use a lip brush to blend or clean finger tips.

If you're still a bit apprehensive about bold colours I would recommend opting for a matte finish.
There's something about a matte finish that tends to work well for everyone.

I've worn a range of colours including:

Green (Colourpop Dr M)
Blue (Melt Cosmetics DGAF - discontinued)
Black (Lime Crime Black Velvet)
Pink (Sleek Loved Up)
Shocking Pink (NYX Shocking Pink)
Vampy Purple (Coloured Raine Tootsie)

and I've felt great in all of them!

In addition to having confidence to wear a certain lip colour, I've found that the right lipstick can give you new confidence.
I feel bad ass when I wear my vampy colours nowadays, I don't know what it is but I love the feeling of vampy red or purple with my outfit!

So in short, if you're anxious about that new lip colour you picked up - don't be,

That baby may be the key to gaining your lipstick confidence!

;)


Nat x

YouTube | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

7 comments

  1. Lovely post Natalie and that red lipstick is absolutely gorgeous on you. I never liked wearing lipstick at all until the last few years, especially not colour. I definitely need to be braver and try colours like blue and green x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I recently got a black lipstick. I actually look good in it..yay. I want Matte Royal by Mac. I have a navy lipstick by kaoir. I haven't tried outside my house yet..self conscious.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Lesley! It's Coloured Raine's Cherry Blossom, one of my fav reds! It's so hard to move away from nudes but the possibility of all the colours you can wear is amazing!

      Delete
  2. That's sooo funny. I just recently got on the lipstick train. I realized that I love matte lipstick. My first lipstick was RUBY WOO. ..lol My favorite right now is Mac's Stone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby Woo seems to be the gateway lippie for all bright colours! I haven't tried MAC's Stone but I think I'm going to have to give it a whirl, so many people love it!

      Delete
  3. I understand this. I remember the days when I didn't want to apply lip balm for fear it would be "too shiny" but thankfully I've moved on from that. I am totally for bold lips although I see why people fear it - however recently when I've sported more neutral colours - I've had my friends/colleagues question where my "bold lips" have gone. Yes I've actually been told that my daily lipstick choice is a "pop of colour that brightens the day". If that does't give out motivation to the bold lip fearful I don't know what will.

    Of course I think everyone has a comfort level and we don't all have to like /wear/love the same thing especially if were not ready. Personally I love that saying about when you free yourself you allow others to do the same - it really is interesting what simple lipstick can convey and make you feel.

    Keep up the good work! Btw - Loving your new nude lip combo its so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah I definitely go through phases where I fall back in love with more nude/neutral lips, I'm going through that phase right now!

      Definitely everyone has a comfort level and this by no means is me forcing anyone to do anything they do not feel comfortable with, this is more for the folks who want to go bold but not sure how or where to start! This post just offers some tips anyone can use to get yourself ready for a bold/bright lip. Nothing is set in stone here!

      Thanks for reading sweets!

      Delete

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, feel free to leave your links here too. Giveaway spam and "Follow For Follow" comments WILL be deleted. If you are awaiting a reply, please tick the Notify Me box, I reply each and every comment!

Back to Top